Rotary clubs activities fall under several categories one of which we call ‘Community Service’. The following is taken from the committee’s report on our 2015 activities and gives an overview of the kind of things we do in the Alford and Mablethorpe area.
- We funded The St John’s Ambulance talk at Huttoft School
- The Mablethorpe Show which raises funds for the school as well as ourselves
- The Mablethorpe library run (see below)
- Members have continued to support the local food bank once a month (see below)
- We contributed to a carriage for the Riding for the Disabled Charity
- We have continued to support the Alford Watch Group (learn about it here)
- We have continued to support Alford Dementia Support
- We have continued to support St Barnabas Hospice
- The Rotary Book Stall in front of the Meridale each Sunday during the summer holidays
- Fund raising BBQ supporting The Sutton on Sea and Trusthorpe Carnival
- Fund raising BBQ supporting the Sutton on Sea Furlongs Festival
- Fund raising BBQ supporting The Beach Hut Festival
- The Mablethorpe Marathon (we provide a number of volunteer marshalls)
- Fund raising BBQ supporting the firework event at Trusthorpe organised by MAP-CIC
- The Alford Christmas Fayre and Santa’s Grotto (we provide Santa and gifts)
- The Sutton on Sea Christmas Fayre and Santa’s Lounge (we provide Santa and gifts)
- Organising the Annual Carol Concert held at The Dunes
- Christmas collections raised over £1,000 for the Rotary UK Flood Appeal, and supported St Martin’s in the Fields and the Mablethorpe Group of Churches.
- During our Christmas Party we raised over £150 for LIVES
Community Food Larder
For our first meeting every month we bring donations of food for the local food larder at Furnichurch, Victoria Road, Mablethorpe. The Furnichurch food larder provides 3 and 5 day food parcels to local individuals or families that are facing hardship. During their last year of operation Furnichurch provided food to serve over 9000 meals to those in need. Furnichurch also provide second hand furniture and new white goods to those being rehoused or facing financial difficulties.
To find out more visit the Furnichurch Website.
Home delivery service for library books and CDs
Not everyone is aware that LCC operate a home delivery service of Books, CDs, Videos etc from Mablethorpe Library in Stanley Avenue to people living in Mablethorpe, Trusthorpe & Sutton on Sea who are housebound or unable to attend the Stanley Avenue Library.
Any person wishing to avail themselves of this facility can enrol, by phone, or by visiting the Mablethorpe Library. A huge choice of entertainment, books, videos, CDs etc are on offer and a whole months supply can be requested up to around 12/15 items. The items are delivered (and collected) monthly by local volunteers and at the moment that service is being provided by members of the Rotary Club of Alford and Mablethorpe.
Approx 6-7 households currently use the service, and our volunteers find it a most rewarding experience, meeting many different people who are so appreciative of the delivery service, and who so enjoy having a new face to chat to.
Would you like to get involved in your community?
If you’d like to get involved in the community and raise money for good causes with us why not consider joining The Rotary Club of Alford and Mablethorpe?